The TLA was formed to give the independent loggers a collective voice in the changes taking place in society and the forest industry, as well as to share information about newly developing logging machines, methods, and technology.
During the summer of 1939, loggers in the Parksville area discussed new regulations on snag felling and slash burning. Also discussed was the need for an association to express their concerns. Bert Welch of Olympic Logging in Qualicum took the lead and invited all the loggers in the area to a meeting. Only Wallace Baikie showed up.
By 1941, the effects of the war were being felt by the logging industry: equipment was in short supply, many of the best young men had joined the armed forces, wages were increasing, and prices were regulated. To make matters worse, the confusing new slash-burning regulation carried a $5-per-acre penalty, and the costs of burning and snag felling were not permitted expenses under the income tax act.
In October 1941, Welch called another meeting in Qualicum. It was attended by 18 loggers, who agreed to form an association. A general meeting was held in Nanaimo in the summer of 1942 to elect officers and work out the details of incorporation. The name “B.C. TLA” was chosen, but it was unacceptable because of possible confusion with the BCLA. On May 4, 1943, the TLA of B.C. was incorporated.”
Today, the TLA is a strong and unifying voice for the provincial forest community and represents its over 500 member companies by promoting the viability and sustainability of the B.C. forest industry, in policy development, by fostering effective communication and ensuring a dynamic organization that addresses the evolving needs of its members.
Click here to download the full history.